Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cheers

Since turning 21 less than a month ago, I go out of my way to find reasons to include alcohol in various aspects of my day. And you can just imagine the magic that unfolded when I stumbled onto the following two articles. (NO, I wasn't drunk at the time, I swear.) So, if you like the vino, pay attention.

"Red wine with red meat, white wine with fish." Although I've only been legally drinking for a few weeks, as a devoted fan of the Food Network and an aspiring Top Chef, even I was aware of this tasty decree. This general rule has helped numerous beginner wine-drinkers to avoid the very fishy aftertaste caused by the pairing of seafood and some red wines. But what causes this exactly? Takayuki Tamura and colleagues in Japan have found a consistent way to predict which wines will trigger the unwanted aftertaste. Participants in the experiment tasted several red and white wines while eating scallops. Scientists concluded that wines containing high amounts of iron caused a more intense fishy taste.They checked this theory by placing iron binding substances in these wines which diminished the fishy aftertaste. Iron also happens to be responsible for the red hue in some wines.

I doubt many winemakers list their nutritional facts on the back of the bottle, but just remember it like this: "fish don't like red." Ahh, chemistry and food, I think I've found my dream job.

Johannes Gutenberg University in Germany could not resist getting in on the action, so they tested the effects of wine on teeth. Their new study found that the acidity in white wine breaks down enamel, causing tooth erosion. Red wine, on the other hand, has less acidity, and therefore, decreased effects over the same time period. But don't toss your bottle opener just yet, there are a few easy steps to reverse the problem, including CHEESE. Having cheese as a dessert or even pairing it with your wine -- which, in my opinion, is the best way to drink wine -- allows the high concentration of calcium to protect your teeth. Or if you're crazy and don't particularly like cheese, drinking wine with any food is beneficial because the saliva produced form chewing will dilute the acid. As long as you're not downing a box of Franzia with a merlot back, I think you're safe. Drink responsibly and SALUTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment